NamePASG
OrganismMus musculus
Aging PhenotypeShortened life-span
Allele TypeDeletion
StrainC57BL/6J
DescriptionA hypomorphic deletion of helicase domains 3, 4, and part of 2, results in expression of a C-terminal truncated PASG protein causing an extrememly short life-span (Sun et al., 2004). 60% of homozygous mutants died shortly after birth, with the remaining 40% surviving up to several weeks (~25 days).
Gene FunctionProliferation associated SNF2-like gene. Helicase that regulates chromatin remodeling for methylation.
Other PhenotypesDisruption of PASG results in genomic hypomethylation, de-repression of silenced genes, and premature aging, characterized by decreased proliferation, increased replicative senescence, and altered expression of bmi-1 and p16INK4a(Sun et al., 2004). PASG mutant mice also showed significant hypoglycemia, low birth weight and growth retardation, graying hair and balding, reduced fat deposition, unstable gait, cachexia, and kyphosis.
HomologsS.c. Yfr038p, Isw2p, Snf2p...
S.p. Snf21p, Hrp1p ...
C.e. CHD-3, H06O01.2, LET-418 ...
D.m. ISWI, KIS, BRM ...
R.n. SMARCA4, DDX49 ...
M.m. CHD1L, CHD4, SMARCAD1...
H.s. HELLS, CHD9, CHD8 ...
Primary ReferenceSun, L. Q., Lee, D. W., Zhang, Q., Xiao, W., Raabe, E. H., Meeker, A., Miao, D., Huso, D. L., and Arceci, R. J. (2004). Growth retardation and premature aging phenotypes in mice with disruption of the SNF2-like gene, PASG. Genes Dev 18, 1035-1046. [Abstract]
Other References
Relevant LinksLocusLink: http://www.ncbi.nih.gov/LocusLink/LocRpt.cgi?l=15201
KeywordsReplicative senescence, karyotype instability, abnormal genomic methylation, premature aging, progeria, stochastic death